with Speak Method
|Online Classes||Pronunciation Facts||R, Th, T and other sounds||500 Words Practice|
|Seattle Classes||Business Communication||TOEFL Prep||ESL Stories|
|Contact us||Vowel Sounds
||Grammar and Idioms||Learn by Language
One Method of Learning Pronunciation
It is difficult to remember pronunciation rules when you are in the middle of a conversation with another person. Usually, you are thinking of what to say, not how to pronounce it. If this is true for you, start by applying pronunciation rules to your thoughts. Follow these steps:
1) Choose something you do every day or most days.
2) Write some sentences that are similar to what you think at these times. Of course, you may not "think in sentences," but the sentences will help you gain more words and practice speaking with stress.
3) Get a teacher to give you the correct pronunciation of your sentences. You can buy recordings through this website if needed.
4) If you need to improve one or more sounds, such as R, TH or A, use the 500 word lists to improve the sounds.
5) Repeat after your recordings regularly. When you can pronounce your first sentences correctly, get recordings of more sentences.
Here are a few examples of sentences I like to study when learning the pronunciation of a new language.
I need to open the window. I need to close the window.
That's a beautiful tree. The branches are moving in the wind.
I am always opening the window to get fresh air. I also like to take walks, and I notice trees. Think about things you do and thoughts you have. Put them into sentences and use them to help you move forward in pronunciation training.
|More Accent Facts
Learn the American Accent
What is Standard American?
Articulation: Speak Clearly
||More Accent Facts
How to Change Your Speech
Chart of English Language Accents
Choosing Your Voice
Milestones in Pronunciation
About Speak Method